Sunday, May 6, 2007

It's just like Night at the Museum

So my Flashman remix won't be appearing on OC Remix anytime soon. That's ok. I accomplished what I set out to do, I made a remix that was good for me to listen to at work. And if people happened to like it along the way, all the better.

I posted in OCRemix's "Work in Progress" forum. Now, up until this point, conventional logic told me that "Work in Progress" meant "this work is incomplete" and "I would appreciate feedback and suggestions".

Apparently though, in this day in age, "Work in Progress" means "Completed work" and "Either it rocks or it sucks". 12 hours after it's posting, three established remixers at OCremix promptly began to unload their drawers on them, although one of them did repent and offer valid criticism (Which I plan to take into consideration). However, someone who shall remain nameless laid into me like I'd just backed over his dog twice. He even went far enough to say "Would your parents listen to this? No, because it's trash".

I had to get a couple of second opinions just to make sure they hadn't changed that on me too: Since when does any person under 30 years old listen to music that their parents would like? "I can hardly get ANYBODY to listen to my music," says my metal-addicted basement dweller.

Once you got past all the disparaging remarks about ear raping, their comments seemed to dwell upon "haven't made it your own yet", and that's true. But it's the first draft.

Of course, darkcecil13 would delete his post later, when others claimed it was "needlessly mean". It's probably a safe assumption someone pissed in his Christ Chex this morning.

But seriously though, and I want you to try this, take this tune and think if it deviates at all from the source material. Apart from moving one part of the tune forward, I don't think it did. This is why you check your ammo before you start throwing mud.

Of course, now I have to improve it to their standards just to say "Oh yeah? Watch me". This of course means it'll probably have a pointless two and a half minute intro and only cycle through the main tune once, but oh well. If it makes them happy.

It's just like Night at the Museum. Critics hated it, but that didn't stop people from seeing it like crazy. Can 650+ YouTube subscribers be wrong?

That being said, I want to buy my car here.



EDIT: I am aware that I have denounced individuals for lynching an in-development piece while at the same time I gang raped an in-development game. In all fairness, that game has had 18 years so far to get better.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Goddamn, that Big Bill Hell's video is making people at my job stare at me.